Re: [SLE] FireFox broken, is SuSE Pro becoming a test bed like Fedora?
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:17:32 -0400
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:10:54PM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Michael W Cocke wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:59:19 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >I've been watching the happenings on the message boards recently with
> > >regards to SuSE 9.3. It seems like it's more bleeding edge and unstable
> > >than usual.
> >
> > Then you haven't been paying attention. It's 'bleeding edge and
> > unstable' if you choose to disregard common sense. I've got it on 2
>
> What does that mean? I'm just reading the Usenet group and the message
> boards and reading about all kinds of problems. It's anecdotal, but come
> on. Not everyone who has a bug with SuSE is an idiot. Sometimes the system
> is actually at fault.

Although I think I have a valid opinion on the last mail I sent about
stability VS features, you have a point that it should work so don't take
me the wrong way.

But, firefox isn't known industry wide for stability either. No browser
outside of links is. (I see you are a developer for web stuff, you check
your pages in links too right? ;) )

> > systems so far, including a production email server. One relatively
> > minor problem, to which the solution was already posted here. The
> > performance improvement over 9.1 and 9.2 is fantastic! I'm actually
> > looking forward to upgrading my file server. 8-)>
>
> That's good to hear. However, I'm going to wait and see. Like I said, what
> I'm reading isn't good. Especially with regards to problems with
> OpenOffice 2.0 (which last I heard is still beta). Putting major versions
> of software like this into the distro when their beta seems like a bad
> idea. And people are having problems with it.

Again, if you want the newest things that have proven to be stable like OO,
you have to sacrifice.

> > Of course, I've never tried to 'update' a system - I follow the
> > conventional wisdom (based on my own experiences) of doing a clean
> > install of ANY operating system upgrade, whether it's windows, OS/2,
> > linux, or DOS.
>
> I didn't do an update. I updated Firefox via YOU.
>
> > > And now I get a Firefox YOU update where my bookmarks and
> > >profile are broken. I can still get to my bookmarks, but I have to
> > >select "Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks" then my bookmarks appear after
> > >having disappeared. They disappear next time I start Firefox back up. On
> > >top of that it doesn't properly recognize my profile, i.e. Firefox looks
> > >different than it should. Different X to close down tabs, etc.
> >
> > You should probably be asking this question of the mozilla/firefox
> > team, since the exact same thing happened to me when I upgraded
> > (manually) from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 on a SuSE 9.2 system, and a bit of
> > investigation showed that it was because of a bug in 1.0.2 that 1.0.3
> > corrected...
>
> YOU totally bi-passed 1.0.2 I believe. I don't find it in the RPM cache,
> at least. So this is something to do with the current update.

Have you sent any of this to any of the SUSE guys? I can't speak for all of
them but I think they are great guys. They don't read all the lists all the
time but I seriously think of you are being honest and the update isn't
working that you really should send one of them a mail. They can't fix it
if they don't know it's broken and it's very possible only a few systems
are affected.

> > >What is going on with Novell quality control? I'm a little concerned. In
> > >the short term I want Firefox to work again. In the long term I want to
> > >know that YOU isn't going to thrash my desktop for daily use. I can get
> > >that with Fedora if I want.
> >
> > As far as I can see, if you pay attention to what's going on you
> > should be fine. If you want to be oblivious, I suggest windows.
>
> Oh please. I don't want oblivious. I can admin a Linux box. I can admin a
> FreeBSD box.

Free BSD is easy though... Believe me, I'm in the process of porting the
Free BSD documentation project over to Slackware with their blessings. I
wrote docs for Free BSD, Slackware, and for free, SUSE.

>I could do it all from source if I wanted to. But I'm a web
> and Java developer. I need my system to "just work". And that's why I pay
> SuSE the money. So it "just works". So excuse me if that's my expectation.
> It's not because I'm stupid or lazy. It's because there's a reason I pay
> for SuSE. And if they fall down on the job, then I could just run FreeBSD
> (well, except it has Java issues) or Fedora and tweak everything myself.

Free BSD won't make the problems go away, they too have them. As I said

Mail someone from SUSE

at least do something about it. Remember how MP3s wouldn't work? Users told
them they didn't like it and in less than one week, they had it fixed.
Trust me, the SUSE staff and Novell staff are good people, I'd love to be a
part of them some day but for now, I talk to them, let them know I care,
and sometimes when I find something wrong with the website, even if it's
just a typo, I point it out and they fix it.