covert mixer volume reduction
  • From: Steve Dowe <steve.dowe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:54:45 +0000
Hi folks,

SUSE 9.2 and I are best friends. It's such a good friend that it plays little
tricks on me - to keep me amused, of course.

One of those tricks is to covertly reduce my sound mixer volume. Sometimes
it's just PCM volume that goes from around 80 (my usual setting) to 29.
Sometimes it's that and the Master volume (both to 29). I will reset the
volume(s) to 80 through KMix (or Kamix), and then about 45 minutes later,
cannot hear sounds for system notifications, for instance. Back to the mixer,
change again... ad infinitum.

I read the previous thread ("Sound Problem") and, thinking this might be a
similar issue, followed advice in there (including following the steps here:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/en/2004/05/thallma_91_sndsilence.html).
Sadly, the problem still remains. Whilst my dear friend SUSE 9.2 is very
close to me, its humour is becoming slightly irksome :)

One thought I have is to stop alsa, set /etc/asound.state manually and
changing it to read-only for root user, group and world, and then seeing if
it sticks. But this seems, at best, a kludge... I'm afraid the sound
system(s) in linux are not my strong point.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Steve