Re: [SLE] How to setup local IMAP server, and which one ? (with eventual HTTP-feature ?)
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:32:44 -0500
Brad Bourn wrote:
On Thursday 02 December 2004 08:34 am, David SMITH wrote:

But don't you then have to be connected to the server to get mail?

Yes, but you can still configure your client to behave the same way as with
POP (to download each message to the local machine and delete it from the
server), but with IMAP, you have the choice of downloading it locally and
deleting from the server, or leaving it on the server.

This begs the question:
I use Kmail in 9.2. I've looked at Evolution and Thunderbird.

The last time I looked at those (kmail included) non of them were able to leave a copy on the server and also delete off of server when deleted locally, NOT moved to different folder.

e.g. I have a Saved folder that has subfolders for everything I want to keep. I use my inbox like a to-do list, as I get through emails, I either file them under Saved folder or trash them. I'd like a client that is able to distinguish the difference. So when I move from inbox to Saved, it will leave a copy on the server for my other clients, and when I delete or move to trash a message that it will take just that one off of the server.

Do you know if any of these clients can do that yet?

I would think Thunderbird would. I use Mozilla and when a message is deleted off line, it is removed from the server, when run on line.