Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:09:32 +0100
On Thursday 07 October 2004 10:27, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Yeah. It seems like you barely get one installed before the next one is
> out. I guess they're continuing to push for Windows competitiveness by
> adding enhancements and releasing them as fast as they can. I can see why
> you would want to do that, long term goal wise, and I'm all for making
> Linux the desktop of choice, but it does tend to get a bit tiresome for
> those of us trying to keep up with the constant upgrading!

Take your point, but in fact there's no pressure to upgrade for a year or two.
The main aim is that new buyers get the red-hot new stuff.

I've only just upgraded my workstation 8.2 install, and that's only because I
felt like it. 8.2 and no doubt earlier still work, and continue to be
provided with official patches for a decent interval after they are replaced.
Can you imagine the whining and wailing on this list if they *didn't* do
regular latest-and-greatest releases? Bit more fun than 'clinging on for dear
life till Longhorn arrives' as one win tech described his position to me the
other day.

Just skip a release or two - you're not going to lose out on anything big
unless there's something highly specific you need to get running that's only
covered in a later version. As ever, though, I'll be splashing out the
moolah on 9.2 as soon as I get the chance to order it ...
Cheers
Fergus