Re: [SLE] Upgrade/update of SuSE 9.1 via red carpet results in login for 9.0 loop.
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 04:48:03 +0200
On Friday, 8 October 2004 04.41, Richard wrote:
> Today I used red carpet to update my SuSE9.1/KDE3.3. That resulted in a
> reboot that turned into a loop. The login screen showed SuSE9.0 and
> wouldnt let me login as user OR root.
>
> I had to boot with the rescue disk, go into INIT 3 and using yast,
> reinstall kde3. All my sources are for 9.1 so I dont know where or how it
> got me into 9.0 login screen.

What does it say in your /etc/SuSE-release

Also, that text on kdm is just that: text. You should have checked the rpm
versions (rpm -qi kdebase3 for example, and check what it says for
"Distribution" at the bottom)

As for why you couldn't log in, well, you should have looked
in /home/<username>/.xsession-errors and /var/log/kdm.log
and /var/log/messages to see what went wrong. You could do this in text mode
right after a failed login.

If you really did get 9.0 packages, that is extremely odd, I have never seen
that. The only way I could imagine that happening is if your SuSE-release
said 9.0, or if the apt repositories were screwed up