RE: [SLE] Updating antivir via cron results in failure
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:05:32 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2004-10-08 at 10:55 -0400, Powell, Stuart wrote:

Mmm. Your mail program has a problem: it is not keeping threading
information, and thus, your post doesn't appear to be an answer to my

> I checked into the README as suggested the other day, and it looks like the
> answer to this is indeed right there. My antivir_update script works OK,
> but does not include any checking for the return code. The README has an
> example of what I should be using, but I'd like confirmation of the logic.

I think it is correct. Perhaps you want to change a litle thing so that it
outputs 1 when there was a problem:

;;
*)
echo "AntiVir had an error trying to update"
exit 1
;;
esac

> 4. because the case statement will always get a hit (because of the
> wildcard), it will always return a 0 (TRUE ?) back to cron, thereby making
> sure cron thinks the job ran OK.

Correct. Or, as sugested above, you can make it return 1 when there was an
error, so that you make sure to receive at least an email if it crashes.

> #4 is what I'm a bit fuzzy on. It's 10 years now since I did any
> programming, so my assumptions may be wrong. Is my interpretation of this
> script correct ?

I think so... but I'm not a bash scripting expert. I do program now and
then, but little things, not for a living anymore. And bash is fairly
recent to me.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson