Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:51:13 -0700
Richard,

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 14:42, rkimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:17:41 -0700
>
> Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I hope you realize that symptoms of this sort (system freeze) cannot
> > be pinned on Opera or on any user-level code. When a system with
> > protected memory exhibits gross, system-wide failures, it is by
> > definition a bug in some privileged code (kernel or driver, e.g.) or
> > a failure of some hardware component.
>
> Actually I was using 'system' to mean my PC. I can't tell whether it's
> a 'system freeze' in your sense.
>
> But, OK, I can live with the fact that a bug-free Opera is the only
> app that ever triggers whatever badness there is, over a period of
> nearly 5 months continuous general use.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but ... Wait a minute. I do mean to be
pedantic! I'm a big raving pedant!!

Anyway, I am most surely _not_ asserting Opera (or any other given piece
of software) is "bug free," since for all practical purposes today, any
non-trivial piece of software cannot be made bug-free.

Nonetheless, there is a rather strict division of labor, responsibility
and authority (if you will) among different classes of software (kernel,
drivers, file systems, libraries, applications, servers, etc.) and most
of those classes of software cannot undermine the system as a whole.

And of course, if there's a hardware issue, all bets are off. There can be
anywhere from complete predictability to total randomness of occurrence
and manifestation from the myriad of conceivable (or even likely)
hardware failures.

> - Richard.
> --
> Richard Kimber