Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:08:20 -0400
Allen wrote:

And now a question:

Why is an Xterm called that after a Terminal when a Terminal is where
something ends.... What were they thinking calling it that. Isn't it
properly called a console? Or what? What do you call a box that's only
using a command line, like run level 3....That's not a Terminal is it? I
have no idea what to call these things, because I've been told Terminal is
where something ends, so it would be console, but... OK I've confused
myself.... I think I'm going to run too the store and get a pack of smokes
heh.
So what is a Terminal, and what is a console? Someone help! ;)

A computer "terminal" has long been known as the device someone would sit at, to use the computer. Years ago, it was a mechanical printer & keyboard and later a video display & keyboard. A console is a terminal that's primarily used for controlling or operating the computer and was commonly used back in the days of mainframe and mini computers. These days, with personal computers, the one keyboard & diplay does both. Later on, "terminal" programs were created, to emulate the services of a computer terminal.