Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out-terminal question
  • From: Allen <goreBOFH@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Monday 25 October 2004 05:50 pm, Allen wrote:
> > I've read about these things! Dude these were AWESOME!
> > http://www.oldcomputer.net or oldhardware or one of those. It has a list of
> > older hardware. Ahh! http://www.oldcomputers.net   <--- awesome site if you
> > guys have never went there.
>
> They don't go back that far...... but I guess they aren't interested in the
> mainframes. Too bad.
>
> My first computer experience was with a IBM 650. The memory was on a
> rotating belt-driven drum. Sometimes with a power spike, the belt would
> snap..... :-)

Damn reading this stuff makes me feel green! My experience in computing is
sooooo new. The first computer I ever bought (Which I got for doing
homework, not because I wanted too play games) was 5 years ago, and I
didn't have books so I played with trial and error, and I had always
wanted too knnow how too use one, so one night I started playing. My HP
Pavilion Pentium 3 733 MHz 128 MB RAM and 43 GB HD had me hooked, and so I
would play with things.

Like for example I would open Microsoft Word, and just mess with
functyions until I had figured out what it did when I would do that. Then
I would open another application and do the same.

I would be up alllll night long doing this every day. I would go to school
still awake from the day before because I was up all night playing. Anyone
here using SUSE I'm sure has done that if they truely love computers and
truely are UNIX Wizards ;) I think that's called you right too passage
when you have been up a day and a half with nothing but a keyboard and a
monitor too look at.

Heh, I learned pretty damn fast and quickly became the person who everyone
called for help when a machine wouldn't work. I had only had a computer
for a year, but after 3 months of all nighters THAT I MISS! I had figured
out enough too hold my own.

I got introduced too IRC and the computer underground in the same year, a
friend of mine in IRC was a Hacker (Same guy who introduced me too Linux
as a matter of fact) had asked me what I was up too and I said I was
reading how a "Ping of Death" Worked, and he was somewhat thrown back by
it because I had only had a computer for a year, and that was a little
advanced for someone as young as me.

I wasn't being a lamer, I just wanted too see how it worked. Heh, Hacker
Curiosity was something I had early lol. So that day I was on IRC with
him, he kind of took me under his wing. Made me do all the work myself,
but would give links to information, and kind of help me learn things by
helping explain things to me in a way that wasn't helping, but made me
want too know so badly that I would keep searching.

Then I heard about Linux. So 2 years ago almost (January 10th will make 2
years of me using Linux / BSD and in particular, SUSE) I started suing
Linux, and now, well, I still have that computer, except Windows 95 / 98
are no longer there, it has Slackware 10, a Sound Blaster Sound Card
adfded, and more RAM. And now I have more skill in a lot of areas, but OSs
and Social Engineering continue to be of the most interest ;)

This may be slightly off topic, but this is a community, and it has a lot
to do with Linux, SUSE, and so I don't think it's a big problem, as a
community should be able to know each other.

I'm only showing how i came too be here, and showing how I first started
with SUSE, which is on topic, and it gives me a chance too see how you all
started with computers and what they were like back then in the early 80s,
which is when I was born.