Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out-terminal question
  • From: Russ <russbucket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:55:50 -0700
On Wednesday 27 October 2004 01:53 pm, JAMES KNOTT wrote:
> --- Darrell Cormier <linuxdev@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just curious if any of you have every worked with a
> > machine that used core
> > memory. If I remember correctly you basically had a
> > cage of "boards". Each
> > board was an x-y grid of fine wire and around each
> > intersection of the wires
> > was a ring of some ferrous oxide material. A
> > current was applied to a
> > certain x-y coordinate to charge the ring thus
> > representing a binary 1. This
> > was a system that had a destructive read which
> > required you to write back
> > what you just read.
> >
> > I have never used one myself but one of my college
> > instructors had one of
> > these cages of core memory modules from a machine he
> > had used in his youth.
> > Quite interesting.
>
> Yes, I've worked on a few models that used core,
> including Data General Nova & Eclipse, DEC PDP-8i &
> PDP-11/24, Collins 8500C. I also have a core plane
> (4K x 1 bit), from a Colins 8400B here. I also worked
> on some Phillips terminals that used core memory.

I worked on or sold all of the machines you mentioned except the Collins. Sold
the first Eclipse Computer in Oklahoma. Worked on PDP 7. 9. 8 and 11's. Used
in Process Control. Great machines but my PC is more powerful but I miss
being able to control a whole plant in 16KB of memory and 256 KB of disk.
--
Russ