Re: [SLE] Ximian2 - Need the monkey out
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:21:31 +0200
On Sunday 01 August 2004 16:03, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 09:47, Anders Johansson wrote:

> > > Or install Synaptic, and then update all of the ximian- packages with
> > > non-ximian packages. Which is what I did, having made the mistake of
> > > using Red-Carpet to upgrade my copy of Evolution, which lost me Galeon,
> > > which cost me.......
> >
> > ...your sanity? red carpet told you exactly what it was going to do. It
> > even told you why. You upgraded some packages, which broke dependencies,
> > and red carpet said "hey, if you're going to upgrade these packages, then
> > these other packages won't work any more, so I'm going to remove them as
> > well"
>
> ...Quite a bit of time, which is what I thought Red-Carpet was
> intended to save. Galeon broke because all of the software it needed
> didn't get dl'ed, which it did tell me about.

Excuse me? Last I checked, red carpet downloads everything before it even
starts to install anything. If a download fails, the install/upgrade never
starts, so how can anything break?

We are talking about rc2, right? You're not talking about things that happened
two years ago I hope

> It also told me how much
> of the system it wanted to change, and I did agree to it.
>
> > But you didn't read it, did you. "Mommy, it wants me to read something!
> > Make it go away". So now "red carpet is bad"
>
> I wouldn't say that Anders. What I would say is that my experience
> with it has been less than starling.
>
> > Guess what else: this wasn't because of red carpet, it was because of rpm
> > dependencies. Any rpm tool would have done the exact same thing
>
> Gee? Really? Who'd a thunk it.

Sarcasm like this usually means "this is so blatantly obvious I'm going to
make fun of it", do I read that correctly? But if you realize that it's a
dependency problem, why blame the tool?

> > Guess what else: you just replaced apt with apt, since functionality in
> > apt/synaptic is close to identical with rcd/red carpet, and the packages
> > in red carpet come from the same source as those in synaptic, at least so
> > far
>
> That's the funny part Anders, Synaptic hasn't had the negative effect
> in the system that Red-Carpet has had. In fact it has helped a good
> deal.

Funny. They are just about identical

> > > Mike -- who forgot how bad Red-Carpet was, and did a reinstall to fix
> > > the thing
> >
> > Anders -- who forgot that microsoft sometimes have a point when they
> > blame "user error". Installing packages without verification, clicking
> > away information dialogs without reading them - we're *this* close to
> > virus hell
>
> Oddly enough I do read things Anders, I also understand them.

brave statement

> > PS. It's very possible to uninstall ximian's software. It's not even
> > hard. It's a little time consuming, since package tools aren't really
> > designed for downgrades, but it's possible.
> >
> > PPS. Please stop the FUD. It's not advisable to use YaST's packaging tool
> > together with any other packaging tool, since YaST keeps insisting on
> > reinstalling stuff from the CDs. But it's very possible to use YOU
> > together with red carpet. apt/synaptic will have the exact same issues
>
> I haven't had any Yast/synaptic problems. One hasn't complained about
> what the other has done.

YaST doesn't complain. It just installs