Re: [SLE] Adjust Partitions
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:29:57 -0500
On Sunday 01 August 2004 15:35, JP wrote:
> Good day,
>
> While I have been running Linux on an old computer for about 8 months now
> I am still quite green when it comes to Linux. I recently converted from
> FC1 to SuSE 9.0 and apparently should've done a better job researching a
> good partitioning scheme for my 15GB HDD.
>
> Pointers to reasources on how can I go about re-allocating my Disk space
> in a non-destructive way (obviously I would back up the important stuff
> first) are greatly appreciated as well as "Gotcha's" that you may know
> about from experience.
>
> Here is my current set-up as you can see the set-up is far from optimal:
> (specifically the /var partition, DOH!)
>
> ------------------ Disk Space --------------------

> /dev/hda2 1012M 748M 213M 78% /
> /dev/hda1 244M 8.3M 223M 4% /boot
> /dev/hda8 3.5G 114M 3.3G 4% /home
> /dev/hda7 1012M 38M 923M 4% /tmp
> /dev/hda5 5.0G 1.3G 3.5G 27% /usr
> /dev/hda6 3.1G 259M 2.8G 9% /var
> tmpfs 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shm
>

> In addition to using it as a means to ween myself from MS I am using using
> this box for web development, a testing webserver running PHP and MySQL,
> and an e-mail server (UW-IMAP, postfix, squirrelmail, amavisd).
>
> Thanks for you help,
> JP
I think the partitioning scheme largely depends upon one's needs. As for
myself, I have the following:
==
/dev/hda1 21952112 2279864 19672248 11% /
/dev/hda2 7234296 3007976 3858836 44% /backups
/dev/hda6 28402016 6243104 22158912 22% /home
tmpfs 224804 0 224804 0% /dev/shm
==
...and find it satisfactory. Backups is just what it sounds like. I have DAR
(--key word--) backups on it, as well as some other discressionary stuff like
new scripts I'm developing & others that I'm saving. The /home partition is
large, since I deal with really large files on a regular basis --anywhere
from 700MB to a couple GB or so.

I'm sure you'll get many varying opinions on this but the scheme works for me,
and yours should be suited to you!

HTH...
--
...CH