Re: [SLE] virtual ip, what is the right way?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:45:15 -0800
On Sunday 01 August 2004 05:06 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> John,
>
> On Sunday 01 August 2004 17:52, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 August 2004 03:09 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > I've successfully added a virtual alias using YaST with no problems
> > > whatsoever. I have only one physical network interface, but since my
> > > ISP provides static addressing and I have local devices to which I
> > > assign non-routable addresses that are (of course) not in the same
> > > network as my global IP, I have to use the virtual alias to make them
> > > accessible.
> >
> > Randall:
> > Nics cost $14. (free if you scrounge around a bit).
> > Get another and do it right. That way you can set
> > up linux as a firewall/router.
>
> Actually, the only non-routable device I have at the moment is my DSL
> modem, so a second NIC could not help me access it, since it has only one
> Ethernet port.
>
> Randall Schulz

Meby I got your situation all wrong then...

I thought you had more than one computer you wanted to
hook to the DSL modem.

The normal way is a two nic Linux box, with all the other
boxes hanging off the second nic in private address space
(192.168.yadda.yadda).

Its fun and educational to build such a box, but routers
do the same for about $30 bucks and are no bigger than
a paperback book these days.

--
John Andersen