Re: [SLE] Ximian2 - Need the monkey out
  • From: Tarjei Huse <tarjei+a_lists.suse@xxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:04:27 +0200
On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 15:59, Alfredo Cole wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am running SuSE 8.2 Pro, and installed Ximian 2 using instructions posted on
> Novel's site.
>
> The install went fine, and Ximian runs fine also. The problem is that
> installing any new software using Yast results in numerous dependency
> problems, to the point that I can not install nor update any packages now. Is
> there a way to uninstall Ximian and get my system the way it was before?

Hehe, yes but it's a bit work. You'll have to either forceupgrade a
number of libs (ca 20 - 30 rpms ) backu to the latest original suselibs.
This will take you about 1 hour on a broadbanc connection.

Basicly:
rpm -qa |grep ximian
Now you know which packages you need to downgrade.

Then
rpm -qa |grep ximian |perl -ni -e '$n = m/(\w+)-(\d+)/; print $1. "\n"
;'

to get a list of the packages w/o the versionumbers.

I'm not sure, but maybe you can use apt-get with the -d (only downlod)
switch to get the packages, if not, you'll have to ftp to a suse mirror
ang download them from there (remember to get the secure versions!).

Also remember not only the --force switch to rpm but also the
--oldpackage for downgrading packages. Very usefull IMHO.

Cheers,
Tarjei

> Thank you.
>
> --