Re: [SLE] Which motherboard/RAID controller for home file-server?
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:50:09 +0200
On Monday 02 August 2004 11:06, Per Jessen wrote:
> Everything depends on your actual requirements, but in a lot of cases I
> chose RAID1 over RAID5. The drives are so cheap anyway that mirroring is
> just easier.

Well, I'm working on a home multi-media system, and the movies (especially the
DVDs) are really starting to take their space (I own about 350 original
movies + downloading is legal in the Netherlands), so I don't think I could
afford to mirror every disk. Hence I was thinking about a (software) RAID
setup of 4 or 5 disks (maybe 2 of such arrays). It's also the reason I prefer
IDE over SCSI.

I checked the SuSE database (thanx for the remembral John Andersen), but
couldn't find much info on SuSE 9.1. One controller I really liked was the
HightPoint RocketRAID 454, with 4 IDE ports, 8 devices, and hardware RAID-5
support. The corporate website claims SuSE support, but I've learned that
that's no guarantee. Anyone have any experience with this device?

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff