Re: [SLE] Bat files in Linux
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:21:05 -0400
On Thursday 29 April 2004 01:03 pm, Steve Reynolds wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2004 1:25 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Maybe if you described what you do for a backup procedure, we could help.
> >
> > My first thought was to just use a cron job (scheduled) job to run
> > 'rsync' to synchronize a backup area.... but would need to know what
> > you actually do for backups.
> >
> > It is probably easier to implement than you can imagine... :-)
>
> My needs are simple, I only have 4 commands:
>
> On my main, dual boot machine I have two 60GB disks, one formated for
> Windows and the second formated for Linux. I have a second older machine on
> my home network that only has a Linux operating system, it will be
> principlely used as a backup machine.
>
> These three commands sync files on my Windows disk to my Linux disk, they
> represent files produced for/by my film scanner, iPod and Dreamweaver:
>
> rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/My Pictures" /home/steve
> rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/My Music" /home/steve
> rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/Web Sites" /home/steve
>
> This is the most important command as it syncs/backsup all my data files to
> the windows disk:
>
> rsync -r --delete /home/steve/Documents /windows/E/Steve

I think you should be ending each path with a '/' as in:

rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/Web Sites/" /home/steve/

Let rsync know that you are dealing with directories...

> I will add a fifth command when I can work out how to rsync my data files
> to the second machine on my home network, but it will look something like:
>
> rsync -r --delete /home/steve/Documents 192.168.0.7:home/steve

To go remotely, you either need to have rsync's talking to each other
(something I never bothered to learn about) or use ssh.

My command for the above would be:

rsync -rlptuv -e ssh --delete /home/steve/Documents/ 192.168.0.7:/home/steve/

with a passwordless setup for ssh between the two machines.

Get all that working and then just add them to your crontab file.

> At the moment this command doesn't work because I have some sort of
> permissions problem that is preventing me from writing to the remote disk..
>
> Steve

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 04/29/04 13:17 +
"Let him who takes the Plunge remember to return it by Tuesday."

< Previous Next >