Re: [SLE] Bat files in Linux
  • From: Steve Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:33:05 +0930
On Friday 30 April 2004 1:25 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> Maybe if you described what you do for a backup procedure, we could help.
>
> My first thought was to just use a cron job (scheduled) job to run 'rsync'
> to synchronize a backup area.... but would need to know what you
> actually do for backups.
>
> It is probably easier to implement than you can imagine... :-)

My needs are simple, I only have 4 commands:

On my main, dual boot machine I have two 60GB disks, one formated for Windows
and the second formated for Linux. I have a second older machine on my home
network that only has a Linux operating system, it will be principlely used
as a backup machine.

These three commands sync files on my Windows disk to my Linux disk, they
represent files produced for/by my film scanner, iPod and Dreamweaver:

rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/My Pictures" /home/steve
rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/My Music" /home/steve
rsync -r --delete "/windows/E/Steve/Web Sites" /home/steve

This is the most important command as it syncs/backsup all my data files to
the windows disk:

rsync -r --delete /home/steve/Documents /windows/E/Steve

I will add a fifth command when I can work out how to rsync my data files to
the second machine on my home network, but it will look something like:

rsync -r --delete /home/steve/Documents 192.168.0.7:home/steve

At the moment this command doesn't work because I have some sort of
permissions problem that is preventing me from writing to the remote disk..

Steve