Re: [SLE] Sending email via SMTP that is not current dial-up ISP
  • From: Scott Jones <scott@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:52:27 -0600
On Saturday 03 April 2004 15:58, Gary wrote:

> > That wouldn't work if you are trying to email certain ISPs (such as
> > AOL) that
> > block "dynamic IP ranges" of plenty of ISPs from sending mail
> > direct to their
> > customers.
>
> yes it does work if you set your MTA, eg, postfix, sendmail, or qmail
> to relay through his ISP's SMTP for those specific domains such as
> aol.com, otherwise use his standard MTA to send for those not
> listed... this is done in the smtp routing file of MTAs.

It still wouldn't work in this case, as AT&T blocks outbound tcp/25.

Regardless, the number of mail systems accepting connections from
dynamic IPs is quickly shrinking (the system I admin, for one; using
the SORBS dynamic IP blocklist alone has cut the incoming flow of spam
and viruses to my system by about 70%).

--
Homepage http://scott.exti.net
XFce desktop environment http://www.xfce.org