Re: [SLE] Yast 2 SUCKS !!!
  • From: pcardenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:07:30 -0500
>> Please next time let's do a bit more trials. And I believe the changes
>> made to the configuration files needs to be coordinated with most GPL
>> software out there.
>
>Most GPLed software is already on the SuSE disks. They work. The major
thing
>is to get things to work with non-GPLed programs, and a lot of those in
the
>past has been prepared for redhat systems only. Admittedly I haven't
tried
>many of those since I installed 8.0, but they should have a better chance
of
>working "out of the box" now.

I guess it was not caught but I had mentioned a few and important ones
like Apache, Lprng, Ifhp and Adaptec RAID drivers. Which it is true they
come with SuSE from the box but perhaps there should be a warning do not
download the latest from the actual apache.org or Lprng.com or adaptec.
The configuration program does not pickup any of the SuSE changes made to
configuration. So is either wait for SuSE to SuSEified all program
delivered with it or your are on your own if you download it from the WEB.
I am not saying that this is totally wrong but there should have been
more detailed changes information on this subject, especially in the book
delivered. Which granted is more geared towards new users and it is good
for that.

Thanks for the other clues as to how to make changes to configuration.

Percy Cardenas
MIS Director
River Oaks Furniture, Inc.

Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>