RE: [SLE] Yast 2 SUCKS !!!
  • From: pcardenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:29:37 -0500
Not to continue the bashing of Yast2, but I believe the main problem is
about the wholesale range of changes done to the way SuSE was configured
prior version 8. I am still trying to discover how to configure things
that are not covered by Yast2 (ie. xinetd). The move of configuration
files (etc/rc.config to /etc/sysconfig and restructuring of /etc/rc.d and
/etc/init.d) has definitely made the SuSE configuration imcompatible to
many GPL software that one can download. Most are still expecting to find
configuration files based on what SuSe prior version 8 was (ie. Apache,
Lprng, Ifhp)
So it would have been nice to post a big warning prior instalation
(especially for those upgrading) that there are major configuration
changes and to be prepared before starting the installtion or upgrade.
Myself, I still trying to figure out how to stop sendmail from the Yast2
interface. I have one server with Domino and I do not need the sendmail.
Anyway it is interesting how some people take to heart but I would have
been less troublesome to not re-release this Yast2 until fully tried in
multiple environments and settings. I can understand you can be all to
everyone but I was very confortable with changing the /etc/rc.config. This
new version put me in check. Not quite a check mate, I still have a few
moves to try by learning how to use the configuration files in the
/etc/sysconfig.
Please next time let's do a bit more trials. And I believe the changes
made to the configuration files needs to be coordinated with most GPL
software out there. Unless SuSE is content with modifying and keeping up
to date to its own changes all these software so that it can install
correctly in SuSE.
Thanks,

Percy Cardenas
MIS Director