Re: [Fwd: [SLE] Yast 2 SUCKS] rebuttal , I think it's wandered a bit OT
  • From: David Benfell <benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:31:18 -0700
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:31:08 -0400, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Hans Krueger <hans007@xxxxxxxxxx> on 28 Jul 2002 21:01:17 -0400
>
> **Now I can undestand all msg from this list soon after 8.1 release !
> **This peaple are right !!! Ssue * and Yast 2 sucks !!!
> **
> **Fábio Rabelo
>
> question: did you do a "clean install" ? ( sorry if you said somewhere,
> I didn't find it) Most, tho not all that had trouble w/ 8.0 install (
> especially when it first came out ) installed OVer a prior release...

Actually, my first attempt to install on the machine was a clean
install.

> Suse said at that time that it was trying to move towards the standard
> locations for things that some group ( to which they belong) has set
> for all Distros to come into complience w/.

It's called File Hierarchy Standard. SuSE has been working on this
for a while and has generally been the distribution most closely in
compliance.

> Yast2 works rather well, but it *IS* different than the earlier
> versions of yast and yast2.... it has most of the functionality of both
> of those tools, and I'm told that when run from a shell it's pretty
> fast as well.

Not quite. See my other postings.

As for speed, I've always found both YaST and YaST2 to be large,
clumsy, and slow. I've generally avoided relying on them much after
installation. But that's beside the point.

The primary value of a distribution is in its ability to install a
working Linux on your system. After that, you have lots of ways to
update. You can access SuSE's ftp site (or better, mirrors) and
download the rpm's, then invoke rpm yourself. You can find the source
and build it yourself. You can muck with the configurations to your
heart's content.

Not getting the installation right, though, is a major problem.

> People you probably disapprove of are coming to linux.... get over it.
> It just isn't going to be some 1337 club any more .... IF you need
> that type of thing, commercial distros are not for you ...

Huh?!???!!!!

I suggest you look at a non-commercial distribution, i.e. Debian, and
then tell me if you think that's an easier installation, especially
for Windows users.

> The watchWord is standardization

Standardization has little to do with the problems in SuSE 8.0. It is
not the File Hierarchy Standard which required changes in how SuSE
organizes the rpms in their FTP site so that previous versions of YaST
and YaST2 could not work.

The File Hierarchy Standard is about how things are arranged on your
system after the installation.

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx