Re: [SLE] Info re supported hardware
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pthomas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 01:37:40 +0200
* Paul Abrahams [Sun, 06 May 2001 10:20:38 -0400]:

>My hard drive claims to be ATA100; the motherboard claims UDMA 33/66 IDE. I'll
>admit that I know nothing of the relationship between ATA and UDMA, but I had
>assumed that the numbers were comparable, especially since most hard drives seem
>to be ATA66. Can you enlighten me?

Yes, they're used interchangeably. BTW, what hard drive is it exactly?
But just try to run 'hdparm -tT /dev/<your disk>' (and please post the
output :). If you get Numbers below 66 MB/sec (and *no* currently
available hard disk even comes near that), it won't get any faster when
connected to a ATA100 controller.

So if you've bought the controller for higher speed, you've wasted your
money. But at least you've now got two more ATA channels, so you can run
four ATA devices as master on their own channel. Running ATA devices as
master on their own channel is always the best way to attach them as
that will give you the most speed when talking to them in parallel (like
installing from CD) and will avoid trouble.

--
Penguins to save the dinosaurs
-- Handelsblatt on Linux for S/390