Re: [SLE] ATA 100 vs. UDMA 33/66
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 15:31:26 -0700
* Paul Abrahams (abrahams@xxxxxxx) [010506 15:25]:
}=}Curtis Rey wrote:
}=}
}=}> I believe Dave Smith is essentially correct about the issues. A person will
}=}> see a reasonable and noticable increase in HDD response time more with drives
}=}> that run at 7200rpms, combine this with a ATA/udma 66/100 drive and you will
}=}> notice a difference. However, if you have a standard or 5400 rpm drive with
}=}> ata/udma 66/100 then the increase in speed/performance will be minimal. The
}=}> real increase comes from the seek-time and speed of the drive - 7200 rpms is
}=}> the real ticket. Also the HDD buffers help because it will load/cache of
}=}> data that is ready to go when called (e.g 2 or 4 MB HDD buffer/cache is
}=}> better the 512KB - excuse my mixing of term "buffer" and "cache", can't
}=}> remember the exact term for this feature - i believe it's a buffer but not
}=}> sure).
}=}
}=}My drive is a 7200RPM Maxtor ATA100 30GB model, so I assume from what you say
}=}that I'd realize the benefits of an ATA100 controller.
}=}
}=}When my system boots up, one of the messages I see is:
}=}
}=} Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
}=}
}=}Since the mobo claims 33/66, should I be inserting the override? How would
}=}that decision be affected by the presence of an ATA100 PCI controller?

Nope, they all do this. It has something to do with IDE vs ISA or so I
was told by Andre Hedrick..the guy who writes 99% of the IDE code in the
kernel. Mine says it too...even though I have 2 drives on the ATA66
controller and 1 on the ATA100 Promise controller. It was the same
message when I had my K6-III mb.

--
Ben Rosenberg
mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx