Re: [SLE] ATA 100 vs. UDMA 33/66
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 18:23:23 -0400
Curtis Rey wrote:

> I believe Dave Smith is essentially correct about the issues. A person will
> see a reasonable and noticable increase in HDD response time more with drives
> that run at 7200rpms, combine this with a ATA/udma 66/100 drive and you will
> notice a difference. However, if you have a standard or 5400 rpm drive with
> ata/udma 66/100 then the increase in speed/performance will be minimal. The
> real increase comes from the seek-time and speed of the drive - 7200 rpms is
> the real ticket. Also the HDD buffers help because it will load/cache of
> data that is ready to go when called (e.g 2 or 4 MB HDD buffer/cache is
> better the 512KB - excuse my mixing of term "buffer" and "cache", can't
> remember the exact term for this feature - i believe it's a buffer but not
> sure).

My drive is a 7200RPM Maxtor ATA100 30GB model, so I assume from what you say
that I'd realize the benefits of an ATA100 controller.

When my system boots up, one of the messages I see is:

Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

Since the mobo claims 33/66, should I be inserting the override? How would
that decision be affected by the presence of an ATA100 PCI controller?

Paul