Re: [SLE] watchdogs & sniffers
  • From: "Geordon VanTassle" <gvantass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:03:00 -0500

Personally, I like Psionic Logcheck and Psionic PortSentry for
auto-monitoring your logs and your ports.

The March issue of SysAdmin Magazine had a GREAT article on setting up both
of these. (That's VOl 10, Number 3) Unfortunately, the article isn't on
their website. Let me know if you can't find it locally, and I can send you
a PDF of the article.

The April issue of Linux Journal had an article on hardining LInux via
Bastille, and even included a bit of advice on getting it to work "right" on
SuSE.

For my firewall, I slightly altered David Ranch's TrinityOS "firewall"
script. See http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/index-linux.html for
more info on the "original." Last updated on 9 Mar 2001

Also, I personally recommend getting "logrotate" installed, too. With it,
you can automatically rotate your logs every day/week/month as well as
filter them through other scripts, gzip them, mail them to somebody and keep
different numbers of "back" copies, if you want. (e.g. messages for a week,
firewall log for a month, etc...)

HTH,
Geordon (been on DSL for almost a year, had lots of door-rattling but no
breakin that I know of yet)