is # or ! a comment?
  • From: James McCreery <James.McCreery@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:33:27 +0100
I don't think I was clear enough in my earlier question about comment
characters.

An example of what I'm talking about:
In my 7.1 installation the /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources file uses the "!"
character to start comment lines and puts the "#" character before IF,
ENDIF, ELSE type statements. This confused me because I thought that the
"#" character *always* meant the start of a comment line.

Is this file (/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources) a shell script? If so why does it
use the "#" character in this way?

cheers
james.

Art Editor
Haymarket Publishing
Telephone +44 20 8267 4622
Fax +44 20 8267 4697
174 Hammersmith Rd
London W6 7JP
United Kingdom
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free from
viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is requested
to use their own virus checking software.

www.haymarketgroup.com