Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0
  • From: stefano.papini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stefano Papini)
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:15:45 +0000

Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:15:45 +0000
From: Stefano Papini <stefano.papini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0

Ciao Guido and SuSErs,
I welcome you in Italian, as I'm italian too.
Well, I didn't upgrade to SuSE7 because I have a fast internet
connection and can upgrade my packages and my sources and cook my apps
by mydelf. Anyway the demo I got at SMAU (one of the most important
Italian IT expo) was really disappointing. For example, the 4/5 PC
hosting SuSE were stupid win machines running /umsdos. So, just to save
10' installation on each PC, an hour, the potential customer
experimented awfully slow SuSE systems! ... even for a ls...!

I guess that many things should be discussed in Open Source
marketing...!

I can't help with your printing pb. but I want to make you avoid Corel
linux, which has been rated as quiet un-trustable by several linux
magazines.

> I was thinking to start a big campaing for Open Source and so on
> in Italian schools -- but how can I do it, if paid support
> offered by the most popular Linux distribution in Italy is so
> weak? Besides that, I tried to persuade the SuSE support to print
> their manual in English if not in German -- their Italian is so
> horrible that I often must translate it back to German in order
> to understand it.

This list (although wonderful) is sadly THE ONLY SUPPORT AVAILABLE IN
ITALY for SuSE. The italian distributors I experienced didn't give ANY
added value and so keep on doing the italian translations.

Again I think of a marketing issue!

I already stressed these facts since 5.3 and obtained only a lot of
quarrelling from some really unpolite guy supposed to work on
translations.

So, I only buy english versions.
Regardless of typos, Italian version seem to be written by somebody
totally external to tech subjects.

Best regards,

Stefano