Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: bernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (bernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:59:41 +0800 (WST)

Kevin Jackson tapped away at the keyboard with:

> What browser are you using?
> If you don't have a browser with frame capability then you are really in
> need of an upgrade.

I'm running the most recent versions of lynx and w3m respectively.
They run within a terminal emulator on my Psion 3. Seeing that the
machine has a total of 2MB of RAM, I don't see the possibility to
load Netscrape or Internet Exploiter, even if a port were available.

<rant>
Your 'laziness' or 'ignorance' shouldn't compel me to spend
thousands to upgrade to a machine; just to access your web page.
</rant>

They are just two of the browser I use to check the pages I create.
I also use a tool called "Bobby" to verify accessability.

You will also find that similar, text-only browsers without room for
frames are appearing on mobile phones.

> DreamWeaver don't set the standards - its an editor/design tool. It puts
> the things on the page how you want them. If it doesn't display correctly
> on your machine then submit a bug report - not dis Macromedia.

DreamWeaver doesn't MEET standards of accessability; not judging
from teh examples given. As a paying customer, you should submit the
bug report. The pages you create are inaccessable to about 20% of
web users.

It is not just a Macromedia problem. It is widespread; and one of
the reasons why I built a set of simple tools to build/maintain one
of the web sites I maintain (http://www.vwclub.asn.au). 90% of the
350 or so pages are built to templates - I define the look of the
templates, and subsequently generate pages according to the varying
content; for frames and non-frames browsers. After a recent check
with Bobby; I uncovered an accessability problem; changed the
template and re-generated about 300 pages - in the space of 5
minutes.

It is the web designer's responsibility to check accessability. The
authoring tool should assist in providing accessability. It
shouldn't hide the fact that a significant portion of web users
won't be able to make sense of what they see.

You will also find that experienced web users *prefer* the
text-only versions of the web pages.

Please take the time to read the W3 guidelines.
I didn't post the URLs for decoration.

BTW: please trim included articles to the relevant sections.
Or are you commenting on the unsubscribe tag at the end of the
message? :-)

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning
Perth, Western Australia