Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: cees-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cees van de Griend)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:48:31 +0200

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 09:03:15AM +0000, Samy Elashmawy wrote:
>>> Linux is tied into the unix way of thinking (I come from a dos/windows
>>> windows world) and the tools and metaliity are just diffrent.
>>
>>Some of us think that is a good thing.
>
> That was just my piont <grin> I did not mean / intend to knock the unix way
> of doing things. I was simply pioting out that its a diffent way , with
> meny diffent tools , and that there is a much higher learning curve to it .
> Thats coming from a dos/windows world , where the level of hand holding is
> much higher.

Nonsence...

Just s few weeks ago 'they' forced me to install NT on my system at my
(new) job. At home, I am using Linux exclusive for over 5 years.

It is hard to install NT...
You get error messages which have nothing to do with the problem.
If (when!) something goes wrong, you get no relevant information and your
only hope is to reboot the damned thing again.
I'm not trying to be funny. I really did not understand the messages the
few times there were error-messages.

The point is, I am not used to Windows anymore and I can tell you from
first hand, it is NOT simple.
I know computers. I can install a complete working Linux (server) system
from scratch in under 1 hour. (I mean fully operational with mail, www,
etc., not 'just' an install.)
NT took me almost a working day and I got dizzy with all the reboots.
And I only had a desktop system, not a server!

Working with Windows is NOT simple.

For instance, please tell me the logic why I must click a start-button
to stop my machine?
I bet you are so used to this silly situation, that you smiled when you
read the question because you thought I was being funny. Well, I'm
serious. Windows is full of such illogical things.
But you are so used to the illogical Windows ways, that you don't think
about it...

To make things clear, with 'you' I mean a typical Windows user which
tries Linux for the first time and not someone in particular.

Regards,
Cees.