Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Derek Fountain)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:00:29 +0100

> Forget about it. Some of these windows hands will never "get it".
>
> Stuck way too deep in guiland. Real webmasters write html in vi or
> emacs. I have shown my guy some wysiwyg tools and he scoffs at them.
> He can do more in 30 minutes and have a much better looking site than
> all the gui html editors I have seen can do in 2 hours. And the code is
> clean and commented if requested. I do not think I have seen any of the
> wysiwyg editors that will put in appropriate comments for less skilled
> persons that may need to make changes from time to time.
>
> But, like I said, some people just don't get it.

This is not a Windows issue, it's a tools issue. I'm not a
"Windows hand" - I'd rather use Linux any day. But I'd also
rather use a tool which gets the job done easily than do it
by hand the hard way. Writing HTML isn't like carving or
painting. A tool can do it, and in the vast majority of
cases it can do it just as well as someone who hand codes.
For those last few cases, I can always fall back to hand
coding - I can read generated HTML even if you can't.

Perhaps you could give us a list of the HTML creation tools
you've seen? They can't have been very good ones, or at
least were being used by amateurs. I know HTML thoroughly,
and I can do more in 3 minutes with a GUI based tool than I
can in an hour of hand coding. I just can't type that fast,
let alone create image maps, etc.

Like you say, some people just don't get it. But those
people tend not to have to maintain 2000+ page web sites,
which is why they don't use tools.