Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Samy Elashmawy)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:03:15 +0000

At 06:11 PM 5/22/2000 -0500, Bud Rogers wrote:
>Samy Elashmawy <samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Linux is tied into the unix way of thinking (I come from a dos/windows
>> windows world) and the tools and metaliity are just diffrent.
>
>Some of us think that is a good thing.

That was just my piont <grin> I did not mean / intend to knock the unix way
of doing things. I was simply pioting out that its a diffent way , with
meny diffent tools , and that there is a much higher learning curve to it .
Thats coming from a dos/windows world , where the level of hand holding is
much higher.

To be honest , I tried vi/emacs once , and never fired it up agian. I
prefer to use joe at the commnd line or kedit in xfce. The more I learn
about linux/unix the more I like it in comparison to dos/windows. Its just
that its a big diffrence , and almost all the tools are unhidden band not
behind gui front ends. much more of a get your hands dirty type of thing.

Thank god for YaST , that tool has been priceless to me. If not for it , I
most likely may have jumped ship.That tool and this list have been
invaluable to me in my linux adventures.