Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (2629 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: donh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Don Hansford)
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 00:25:39 +1000
  • Message-id: <392A94E3.419171D1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>



Kevin Jackson wrote:
>
> > I have never used DreamWeaver, but will take your word for it that it
> > generates 'clean' HTML. But the one thing that seals it for me, is the
> > fact that they have not, and apparently, will not, release a
> > version for
> > Linux. Therefore, I will not use their product.
>
> So what you are saying - if you can do EXACTLY the same work in half the
> time, using a tool that runs on Microsoft - you wouldn't use it?

I don't have a Windows option (by choice) so I don't use those type of
products.

> I am a Linux afficianado - I will tout Linux as much as possible - but I
> like making my job easier. But I won't use a tool just because there isn't
> a Linux equivalent.

See above

> If your argument is because you have a Linux OS only then fair enough - you
> can't get around that (easily)! But if you are maintaining web pages for a
> living then I'd get a tool to save me time, even if it meant me booting up
> Windows9x/NT/2K.

See above (again) :-)

> I do understand completely about the workmanship side of things. There
> ain't nothing worse going to a site that took way too long to load just
> because it went about the hard way to display the page. Older web design
> tools didn't do the best job at putting what you had designed on screen down
> into code, but as I said earlier, the professional web designers I know ALL
> use DreamWeaver. I'm not talking little commissioning jobs, neither. And,
> of course, most of them have a local Linux machine for local testing of
> these pages! :)

They should also have a selection of the last few browsers (of all
makes) to ty. It never ceases to amaze me how MANY standards we have
got, that aren't standard!

> Have a look at DreamWeaver and tell me what you think. It is the best so
> far. I wouldn't even put it in the same leauge as "the bad bunch".

I'll see if I can get a link to it at work.

> And, if I got wine working with DreamWeaver I'd boot more into Linux at
> home. :)

I dont use emulators (just an old stick-in-the-mud I guess)!

> As far as a Linux version goes - there is a wish list page at Macromedia.
> Put your 2 pence worth in and who knows...

On the Waaaaaaay!



--

Regards Don Hansford
ECKYTECH COMPUTING
Surfing the Net (without crashing)
With SuSE 6.4 Linux (Thanx Linus!)
"Microsoft democratised the computer market and served as a catalyst
in making computers available to everybody. Later, however, they did
as many revolutionaries do -- they became dictators. History has
taught us the inevitable fate of dictators."

--
To unsubscribe send e-mail to suse-linux-e-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxx
For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx
Also check the FAQ at http://www.suse.com/Support/Doku/FAQ/


< Previous Next >
References