Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?

Of course you're right. We're way behind M$ in all sorts of application areas.

Lots of word processors will save documents to HTML. Most do a crappy job of
it. Sun's Star Office writes the best HTML of any word processor I've seen.

Two works in progress for HTML editing are Quanta
(http://quanta.sourceforge.net/) and BlueFish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/)

Both are usable. Neither is ready for prime time.

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Rusty wrote:
> You know, I read all of the posts that were written regarding whether or
> not Linux was ready for the desktop and ready to compete with
> Mickeysoft.
>
> Guess what? I don't think so yet. Let me give you a for instance.
> This morning I was looking for a HTML editor that had a few bells and
> whistles to make the job easier. I went to the TUCOWS site and examined
> the offerings. For Windoz, there were so many programs offered that it
> was hard to make a choice. I then proceeded to the Linux section. I
> immediately got suspicious when there was not presented a clear cut
> choice. It seems that HTML editing is not straight forward. You are
> presented with four (4) categories, each category embellished with a
> photograph of a good looking young man or woman. What those categories
> or the photos have to do with the software is beyond me.
>
> To cut to the quick of this matter, it seems that the only HTML editors
> for Linux are the same old sorry text editors, i.e., jed, joe, pico and
> every masochist's dream vi and all of it's incarnations.
>
> As much as I despise Mickeysoft for their nasty business practices,
> their horribly written software and their total lack of support, they
> are way ahead in the small things that make life easier.
>
> I don't want to write HTML in vi. In fact I don't want to ever write
> anything in vi or TeTex. I enjoy a few creature comforts from time to
> time and for the time being it seems that Linux does not yet offer
> enough to compete.
>
> Rusty
>
> --

Kenneth R. Kellum -- San Jose State University