Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready?
  • From: samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Samy Elashmawy)
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:48:18 +0000

Part of the problem is lack of applications (in comparison to M$)
Part is culture.

Linux is tied into the unix way of thinking (I come from a dos/windows
windows world) and the tools and metaliity are just diffrent.

ie editors. vi and emacs . I bet youl find a programing/html module for
either of these vernable tools.
But , if you come from a windows world ie editor.exe or the wondows version
, where there are a whole bunch of pull down menues that do it all for you.
The only thing I have seen was edy and it was in german.

I now use joe , and nned to constanly look up the key commands. Kedit in
nice too , in x if you have it running.

Things are changeing , and more chioces are starting to appear. ie corel
linux WPO2000 has just came on line , and there ais applicawae and star
office as well , for that segment of the market. WP Offce 2000 even has
paradox for those uf us who are "database challenged" , and even pgaccess
if you want to incvest the time . Applixware has a data module ( I realy
want to try that real soon) that I hope will fill my neads , as I realy
like applixware , especialy on older hardware.

then there the culture thing . Linux is more of a rough id out as it is or
with what you got kind of enviorment , that requirs you investr the time
and effort into the technical aspects of it.Lucky gor the gpl enviorment ,
and the eas of taking whats allready ben built and wworking with it to
build your needs on top of whats there. Windows is much more of a newbie /
hand held eviorment and there is not the need for so much technical
familiarity , as everthing is put behind check boxes , pull down list and
radio button forms.