Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xfce (10 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-xfce] Help for a newcomer to XFCE
  • From: "Rupert Horstkötter" <rhorstkoetter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:57:55 +0200
Andrew,

2008/7/2 Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Greetings,

I'm a noob when it comes to the ways of XFCE, I'm predominantly a GNOME
user although I do also use KDE. I would love to use XFCE on my eeePC,
and also hopefully create a usb image for others to use. I do have a
few questions with this in mind:

1. As the standard eeePC is very limited on space I would really like
to hear of people's recommendations for applications. Ideally I would
like to have as close to a full blown desktop providing all the
functionality that I would see in a full sized laptop. I think the
basics for this list are - RSS reader, IRC client, IM client, e-mail
client, calendar client, VoIP client, webcam client, Office apps (Word
Processor/Spreadsheet/Presentation/PDF), Media client (video and audio),
codecs, network management, Image viewer. I appreciate that some of
these are provided by default XFCE and also the Community repo.

Zenwalk Linux has a smoothly integrated Xfce desktop. Their philosophy
is to have one application for one task - pretty lean and productive
system. Maybe you could get some inspiration there
http://www.zenwalk.org

2. Does anyone have a link to or could they provide a KIWI control
file for creating an XFCE live CD or similar? Obviously having the
application list first would help in the creation of the xml.

Nope. But I'd be very interested in this as well - especially in an
USB image. I'm unfortunately extremely busy atm, but I'll think about
it later on.

3. If I choose to use NetworkManager under XFCE how would I enable it
to start automatically when I log in? At the minute I have to run
nm-applet manually to be able to get my network status and connect to
wireless APs.

Maybe this not what you're looking for, but what if you'd use Xfce's
autostart function? Simply place the nm-applet.desktop into
~/.config/autostart (if I remember right) - there is also a GUI
available for Xfce, similar to GNOME's "sessions".

Hope that helps!

Best,
Rupert

Many thanks,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa, openSUSE Member: GNOME & Marketing Teams.
http://opensuse.org/GNOME | http://en.opensuse.org/Marketing_Team

Rupert Horstkötter, openSUSE Community
Email: rhorstkoetter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +49 6151 7897817