Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?

On 2017-01-03 18:39, Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2017, 16:40:14 CET schrieb Carlos E. R.:

Can you describe what "a bit cumbersome" is? You can fix only
issues, if you know the problem.

No, there is no way to repair that, it is by design of a "wiki"
system. For instance, it is not WYSIWYG.

One has to know "keywords" that should result in a certain
format, then ask the system to produce the output and see the
result. If it is not as wanted, change and repeat procedure.

Time for a funny story ;-)

I'm admin on two wikis for gardeners and wine growers. When I set
up those wikis, I showed them a WYSIWYG editor that (back then)
worked with MediaWiki.

After some testing, the surprising result was that they prefer to
edit wiki source, and IIRC the reason was because "it's easier".
Yes, really!

This makes the wish for a WYSIWYG editor for the openSUSE wiki
(which is edited by people who much more "computer stuff" than a
typical gardener) somewhat funny ;-)

Understandable :-)

Yet most of us use L.Office Writer ;-)

In the past I used editors that would switch view mode (tokens or
graphic) with a keypress. Both modes are useful. But an online editor
is typically also slow to react.

That said, my preferred tool is LyX.

If there is really a demand for a WYSIWYG editor, I can of course
check what's available, if it fits our needs and doesn't get in the
way of people who prefer to edit wiki source. (From a quick look,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor might be a good
candidate.)

However, can we please do this after the wiki migration and update
is done? I already had some fun with all the extensions we use [1],
and updating everything to a new version already gives enough
chances to break something. Therefore I'd prefer not to add another
extension to the mix to avoid delays ;-)

Yes, of course. I'm not in any hurry either, and I write very few wiki
pages, so don't base decisions on me alone.

PS: To avoid another mail about the "Mr./Ms." - well, it depends
;-) If you write to someone the first time, using "Mr./Ms." is not
really bad, and nobody will hate you for that. Maybe that person
just thinks you are a bit too formal and/or not too familiar with
the open source community. But if you always used the first name
and suddenly switch to "Mr./ Ms.", well... ;-)

Oh :-(

Then somebody may be a bit pissed at me for that reason, unbeknown to
me. :-(

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))