Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 15:39:24 +0000
Gesendet: Sonntag, 01. Januar 2017 um 17:55 Uhr
Von: "PatrickD Garvey" <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
An: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
<opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?

Ms. Kriesch,

Please let me try again to share the essence of my world view:

Why do you use the character string "Sarah Julia Kriesch" in the From:
field of your email? Are you not free to use only the character string
"ada.lovelace@" and a domain name to make the email system properly
deliver your writing?

Why do you say "Ms. Kriesch"? We are a community and speak with our first names.
I am a volunteer like you and I want to speak with you as an equal.

Sarah Julia Kriesch is my real name and AdaLovelace my nick name in
the community. Most Community Members are using their real names on
mailing lists, just as I. I have a special email alias for openSUSE
that it won't be mixed with private mails.

I use another name as a nick name, because my education company
wasn't allowed to know my contributions at openSUSE 5 years ago. They
didn't want to see me in any open source communities. My online
(community) friends said, I should use this nick name, because I
would have the same CV like Ada Lovelace. She wasn't allowed to work
in Computer Science and did it for her own. I did that (self-studying
and with support in communities), too.

That's a really cool story behind the nickname ;-)

She was an amazing lady and (just in case anyone didn't know
already) arguably the first ever computer programmer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace