Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?
  • From: PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 05:17:42 -0800
On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Sarah Julia Kriesch <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx> wrote:

Gesendet: Sonntag, 01. Januar 2017 um 23:16 Uhr
Von: "PatrickD Garvey" <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
An: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
<opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Sarah Julia Kriesch <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
wrote:

When one joins a group of other people for a purpose, one expects to
do some things that the group thinks are important, like keep your
private life disconnected from your corporate life in some cases and
associate it for the benefit of both in other cases, depending upon
the groups involved.

I would like to suggest that one of the things one should expect to do
when one joins a GNU/Linux distribution project is store one's output
somewhere that is obviously linked with the project, not on some
community server not associated with the project. I think I should
store anything I do for the openSUSE project somewhere in the
openSUSE.org domain, not in a RedHat.org or Canonical.org domain or a
SourceForge.net or GitHub.com domain.

Does that seem reasonable to you?
--
openSUSE is an organization on Github and has got all projects there like
other open source projects, too.

Your output will be stored, too. You get points for your work and any time
you can apply for a Membership.
Your wiki output can be watched here:
https://en.opensuse.org/Special:Contributions/PatrickDGarvey

Our social network which will also used for membership applications is here:
https://connect.opensuse.org
We do the same like other GNU/ Linux distribution projects like Fedora and
Debian.

"openSUSE is an organization on Github and has got all projects there"
Do you mean to imply that every source file that began life as part of
the openSUSE project and continues to be developed in the openSUSE
project can be found in the https://github.com/opensuse/ structure?
(Just looking for complete communication of your world view, here. I'm
sorry my writing often slips into what appears to be criticism, but
it's really just seeking clear communication.)