Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?
  • From: PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 14:16:44 -0800
On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Sarah Julia Kriesch <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx> wrote:

Gesendet: Sonntag, 01. Januar 2017 um 17:55 Uhr
Von: "PatrickD Garvey" <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
An: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
<opensuse-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-wiki] Why is this acceptable?

Ms. Kriesch,

Please let me try again to share the essence of my world view:

Why do you use the character string "Sarah Julia Kriesch" in the From:
field of your email? Are you not free to use only the character string
"ada.lovelace@" and a domain name to make the email system properly
deliver your writing?

Why do you say "Ms. Kriesch"? We are a community and speak with our first
names.
I am a volunteer like you and I want to speak with you as an equal.

Sarah Julia Kriesch is my real name and AdaLovelace my nick name in the
community. Most Community Members are using their real names on mailing
lists, just as I. I have a special email alias for openSUSE that it won't be
mixed with private mails.

I use another name as a nick name, because my education company wasn't
allowed to know my contributions at openSUSE 5 years ago. They didn't want to
see me in any open source communities. My online (community) friends said, I
should use this nick name, because I would have the same CV like Ada
Lovelace. She wasn't allowed to work in Computer Science and did it for her
own. I did that (self-studying and with support in communities), too. That is
a long time ago now.
I use my nick name combined with my real name. All people in the community
know me with my real name.

Does that explain all?

Best regards,
Sarah

Yes, thank you, it does explain all I need to know to illustrate the
point I'm trying to share with you.

When one joins a group of other people for a purpose, one expects to
do some things that the group thinks are important, like keep your
private life disconnected from your corporate life in some cases and
associate it for the benefit of both in other cases, depending upon
the groups involved.

I would like to suggest that one of the things one should expect to do
when one joins a GNU/Linux distribution project is store one's output
somewhere that is obviously linked with the project, not on some
community server not associated with the project. I think I should
store anything I do for the openSUSE project somewhere in the
openSUSE.org domain, not in a RedHat.org or Canonical.org domain or a
SourceForge.net or GitHub.com domain.

Does that seem reasonable to you?