Re: [opensuse-wiki] Namespaces for the wiki.o.o
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:33:07 +0100
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 23. Dezember 2009 schrieb Frank Sundermeyer:
Purpose of namespaces:
---------------------

Namespaces allow to _separate_ between content for the _editing
community_ (like howtos on writing articles, guidelines, etc) and
_readers_

For openSUSE, one could also say: "... to separate between content for
'normal' users and developers".

The docs on mediawiki.org base on the assumption that all "real content"
lives at one level ("could be interesting for everybody" - that's valid
for any wikipedia article) and has the same audience, aka "readers".

OTOH, the openSUSE wiki has content on multiple levels:
- documentation for "normal" users
- information for development, packaging etc
- project-related information (teams, meetings etc.)
- ...

While it might sometimes be hard to draw a line between development and
project related content, it is quite easy to separate the "normal user"
documentation.

BTW: Wikipedia has lots of "sister projects" (wikiquote, wikispecies,
wikisource, wiktionary etc.) Basically they could also handle them as
namespaces - that would be somehow comparable to the content of the
openSUSE wiki ;-)

How are pages outside the main namespace handled?

However, there are two other main differences:
* a regular search will _not_ find any pages outside of the main
namespace, because the default search is limited to the main
namespace

And exactly this is why I recommend to have multiple namespaces.
It is extremely important to be able to search in a specific "part" of
the wiki.

To give you an example: I don't consider myself as "normal" user, but I
still sometimes have to search the documentation. Being able to limit my
search to the main (user doc) namespace is very important then, because
random matches in KDE meeting logs won't help me with my KMail
configuration ;-)

BTW: Don't get me wrong - I don't want to split the community into
"users" and "developers". Those are just different roles, and people may
switch between those roles as often as they want. And they should be
able to search only pages that match their current role ;-)

Now my 2 cents:

* Having read the above, it IMHO should be clear that it does not
make sense, to divide the content into different namespaces such as
developer, news, etc. Nor does it make sense to use the existing SDB
namespace in teh future.

Well, I could now start a section reading...

Purpose of software documentation
---------------------------------

Software documentation tells you ("the user") what the developers had in
mind when they developed their software. Especially, it will tell you
how to use the software.

Be warned that the documentation is always written from the developer's
point of view, which might not always match your situation. You should
always read the documentation, but in some cases you should just ignore
the documentation and do what you think is the best solution for your
problem.

... but I will just tell you that you can't always trust the
documentation to match everybody's situation perfectly ;-) *SCNR*

* Since the default namespaces cannot be deleted we should utilize
them before introducing new namespaces - e.g. "Help" for editing
instructions, describing extensions, or openSUSE (aka Meta) for
guidelines, etc.

ACK, good idea.

* We do not want people searching for an article to be pointed to a
portal page rather than to the article itself. Therefore I would
suggest to put them into a to be created namespace Portal

ACK

* Apart from "Portal" I would not add any other namespaces, but
rather delete the custom ones we now have /howtos, faqs, SDB, SDB
talk

NACK, see above and the namespaces proposed by Henne and Rajko (in the
"Final preparations" thread and also some weeks ago).

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Nur beim Account meines Hundes (der ist mein Test-User)
sind alle Desktop-Icons weg [...]