Re: [opensuse-wiki] Re: Mentoring session - December 27th, 17h00 UTC
  • From: DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:42:01 +0100
DenverD wrote:
i tried to understand all the mumbo-jumbo about templates, portals,
namespaces and and and and.....and finally figured out that those
things don't interest me in the least..

just to mumble some more: i ran into Frank Sundermeyer's just posted
"Namespaces for the wiki.o.o" and tried (really did) to figure out
what the frick...even spent some time reading
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Namespace (until my nose hit my
keyboard in a hail of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs) and realized we need two
DIFFERENT sets of guide lines: one for the
wordsmiths/editors/proofreaders/whatevers (normally called a 'style
guide') and one for the folks that take the words/articles and
*format* them to give that pleasing "it all hangs together" look..

count me in the former category...then i can look at words in today's
wiki without joining a team *or* understanding the marching orders to
be given sunday evening by the wiki skeleton builders, i think...(or,
are they gonna tell me some new information about capitalization,
redundancy, unnecessary remarks/comments, grammar and etc?)

and, to do that i never need to understand Frank's concern about
namespaces, portals and other 'programmer talk'..

let me say that a different way: if it is a requirement that i
understand Frank's note or the pages he references, count me out!

on the other hand, if i originate a new article i promise i will do it
in OpenOffice writer (or more likely a plain text editor) and 'hand'
it to a wiki markup language smart geek to format and partition as
needed to make hang real pretty on the bones... ok?

question: will there be an enduring team who can and will take a
coherent, well written/structured and needed article consisting of
WORDS and add the wiki markup?

DenverD