[opensuse-wiki] Style Guide: handling devices
  • From: Mike Gentry <mike.h.gentry.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 04:28:58 +0000
Re: previous thread; I see that it is suggested that the style guide is discussed here.

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Wiki_Guidelines

Is there a policy on device identifiers, such as '/dev/sda', and how they should be represented in the wiki?

If there isn't, with reference to this thread;

http://forums.opensuse.org/looking-something-other-than-support/426354-urgent-opensuse-org-page-could-wipe-hdd.html

Using 'sd's as an example, it seems to me that it might be sensible to have a policy of always rendering the first device mentioned as 'sdx', the second 'sdy', and the third 'sdz', unless N>3 devices are named, in which case picking the last N letters of the alphabet.

This has the advantage of being consistent, of echoing common usage (we think of 'x' as being something we substitute - you could even emphasise that by making it italic) and therefore obvious to new users, and of being extremely unlikely to correspond to actual devices - particularly important as people will copy / paste commands like 'dd' or 'rm' into terminals, and possibly bring a carriage return with them, as discussed in the thread.

Removing explicit carriage returns is also mentioned in the thread - I guess that can only help.