Re: [opensuse-wiki] New wiki host: Final preparations
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:10:21 +0100
On 12/17/2009 06:34 AM, Rajko M. wrote:
On Wednesday 16 December 2009 04:57:49 Henne Vogelsang wrote:

We should start with the namespaces i mentioned in the structure we
talked about. So Portal, SDB, Project, Meta, 11.0, 11.1 and the other
usual suspects (User, File and so on). And these should be removed:
Help, FAQ, howto, openSUSE, Type, Concept.

Project namespace is named by the name of project, in our case it is
openSUSE.

Okay with me. I don't care if its named Project or openSUSE...

Help is usually meta help around MediaWiki software, local writing guidelines
deletion policy and similar help content that is of no interest to normal
visitors.

All of this should be in the Meta namespace.

It would be nice to split openSUSE project meta information and Help for
editor and authors that currently is in openSUSE namespace, which is
unfortunate consequence of the fact that no one read
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Namespaces before acting. That means
Help might be needed.

Yes thats the purpose of having an own namespace for the meta information.

Type, Concept and Property are not defaults. That is added by Semantic
MediaWiki extension, so I would learn more before rush them out of sight.

Ah okay. I did not know that...

In all discussions no one mentioned what we are going to do with other
purposes that wiki is currently used for: Ambassador program, Artwork, Weekly
news, etc.

Ambassadors are a team and should be in the project namespace
(openSUSE:Teams/Ambassadors). Artwork should be split into the
respective namespaces. So for instance the style guides should be in the
project namespace (openSUSE:Guidelines/Artwork), version specific
artwork should be in the main namespace, the documentation about the
tools should be in the SDB, user generated artwork should imho not be on
the wiki but on the sites that actually are made for this (suse-art,
kde-look, gnome-look etc.). And if we really want to, we can have in the
main namespace Portal:Artwork. For weekly news the released content
should be in the main namespace and all the other stuff should be in the
project namespace (openSUSE:Teams/WeeklyNews).

As you can see if you look at the wiki content in this way you can split
everything into

* Distro Pages: main, introduction to the current distribution
* Support Database: SDB, one place for docu no matter what kind
* Project stuff: openSUSE, effigy of the project structure
* Wiki Documentation: Meta, everything you need to work in the wiki

And if you think we need an overview about a specific topic as
introduction to the world you put a Portal into the main namespace.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
- Mike Tyson