[opensuse-wiki] AI2, AI 5 & AI6 Status report
  • From: Remy Marquis <remy.marquis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:12:12 +1100
Hi,

Here is a status report regarding wiki transition AI #2, #5 and #6.

AI#2 : Templates
---------------------
I've cleaned more Template, added a few useful templates. The list of
"standardized" templates can be found here :
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Template_Messages

A proposition for the article template that should be hopefully become
a standard through the wiki is here :
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Article_Template

The basic structure is, as following :
- Navigation bar (optional)
- Introduction (Intro-frame)
- Knowledge bar (version, prerequisite articles, links to more general help)
- Body
- See also section (related articles that might interest the reader,
external links)

Please give comment feedback. It's still WIP, but I must admit that
I've actually no idea how to improve it at this stage. Any help
regarding this issue is welcomed.

A proposition by Shayon for the Portal template that should become the
entry point to diverse sub-project (YaST, Libzypp, BuildService,
Education, ..) can be found here :
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Portal_Template and
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Portal_Template/Example

I think that Shayon is preparing a second proposition (which is still
WIP as far as I know).

AI#5 : Wiki Guidelines
---------------------------
I've cleaned, merged the bunch of articles that were talking about Guidelines.
The new "Wiki Guidelines" can be accessed here :
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Wiki_Guidelines

It is divided in 5 essential parts :
- Style Guide (main structure, general usubility, basic elements)
- Template Guide (basic info about Template and common template
description, see AI#2)
- Tag Guide (maintenance, cleanup tag, deletion policy)
- Categorization Guide. This is still in early stage at the moment and
need to be developed. Following a discussion with Rajko_m and Shayon,
it might be useful to define a pre-selected list of categorization
tags (ie, [[category:KDE]]) to help to properly categorize articles
when migrating, but this need some extra time to prepare.
- Translation Guide (how to provide a localized wiki)

Shayon also proposed a NavBox linking to all Guidelines (General
Guideline, Artwork, Trademark, etc) :
http://en.opensuse.org/Template:Guidelines
A specific portal dedicated to openSUSE Guidelines and Policies might
also be a good idea in the new wiki instance.

As always, please comment. I believe that huge improvements can still
be done here.

AI#6 : Transition Guidelines
-----------------------------------
A step-to-step transition guideline is available here :

http://en.opensuse.org/Transition_Guidelines

This is also in a early stage and input from all participants is required.
Some comments from Shayon can also be found at the bottom, before the
proposed wiki structure.

Also, about the "Content Check" pages:
Some page (~150) have been manually checked and tagged with "Passed QA
check". However, this tag only indicate that the page content is not
rubbish, but the format might need improvement to match the
to-be-finalized Wiki Guidelines. I guess a second check, which include
a format check, might be necessary for all pages.

Please note that I won't be available to work on wiki this week. Keep
the good work during my absence :)

Regards,

R.