Re: [opensuse-wiki] RFC:Title capitalization on the openSUSE wiki
  • From: Javier Llorente <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 02:23:28 +0100
On Monday 30 November 2009 18:21:29 Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
Hello,

Remy Marquis wrote:
I thin that I remember having seen a mail from Andreas Jaeger
explaining that "openSUSE" should be spelled "openSUSE" in any cases,
but I can't find it again...
Moreover, as a *trademark*, openSUSE should have an invariable typo. A
good example is the www.o.o frontpage :

I guess it was at the time of the launch of 11.2 and must be there in
the marketing section dont have an exact idea :)

"openSUSE is a free and Linux-based operating system for your PC,
Laptop or Server. You can surf the web, manage your e-mails and
photos, do office work, play videos or music and have a lot of fun!"

You can also have a look at the official openSUSE reference manual (page
19)

"Remote Installation
openSUSE® can be installed in several different ways. As well as the
usual media in-
stallation covered in Chapter 1, Installation with YaST (↑Start-Up),
you can choose[...]"

another example (page 86)

"WARNING: Trusting External Software Sources
Before adding external software repositories to your list of
repositories, make sure this repository can be trusted. openSUSE is not
responsible for any potential
problems arising from software installed from third-party software
repositories."

Imho, the actual pages titled "OpenSUSE" and not "openSUSE" in the
wiki are misspelled, mostly because it's not possible to write a
lowercase title by default with MediaWiki. I tried to apply the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lowercase template to the main
wiki, but was unable to have it working correctly.

Update : Well at the current MediaWiki version in openSUSE , we can have
the desired namespace for the project page - *openSUSE:Title Name.*

Example : -

1) http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Article_Template
2) http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Template_Messages_to_Review
3) http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse

Above are just the example many more of such kinds are there.

I didn't realize that. But still, we cannot have pages starting with a
lowercase letter. This will be fixed once we have a newer version of MediaWiki
installed and two (or one) extra templates.

Hence if you go for http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Foo with
http://en.opensuse.org/fooBAR difference can be easily noticed. ( as
already mentioned by Remy above).

R.