Re: [opensuse-wiki] opensuse.org frontpage lift-up/redesign
  • From: q uestion <question_q13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:31:15 +0000 (GMT)
--- "Joseph M. Gaffney" <CuCullin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I think you're missing something... the community
> doesn't just include the
> users, but developers at Novell as well. Its a
> joint effort. Not community
> + Novell, but that people at Novell are a part of
> this community. A very
> important, and involved, part.

I do understand this. That is exactly why I suggest to
involve as many of those Novell people assigned to
help OpenSuSE. I am not talking about those great
Novell/SuSE people already visible in the community,
but also the less/not visible people from marketing
and webdesign. Not everybody is used to help community
style. That is also why I started by telling I don't
know whats happening behind the scenes.

> What houghi is saying is that you don't put
> something out there and instantly
> get a community, a community is something that
> starts small-ish, and grows.

Dont forget this community was already here. It was
formed virtually in many forms by many SuSE users
helping eachother and SuSE. The start of OpenSuSE did
not create a new community but gives shape to this old
virtual community. The power comes from the history of
SuSE: once company. now still transforming as
company-community style.

This is why I raise the question to get those Novell
people who are now assigned but not visible get
involved: the distributions are already one of the
best in the world, but not pulling all the strings to
get the OpenSuSE community portal roling will damage
this. I am afraid the community does not provide
enough active resources to match the size of the
distribution. Not enough to reach the goals. This can
have a huge impact on the distribution and so on the
community, OpenSuSE.

Tim