Re: [opensuse-wiki] opensuse.org frontpage lift-up/redesign
  • From: "Joseph M. Gaffney" <CuCullin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:58:51 -0500
On Friday 24 February 2006 11:37, q uestion wrote:
> --- houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, obviously openSUSE.org is _the_ portal for
> > openSUSE.org. openSUSE is
> > the comunity, so as a comunity it is up to US,
> > members of the comunity to make that site.
>
> This is exactly what I was afraid of: black/white
> thinking. We don't have Novell staff support to just
> ignore it and hope the community can make OpenSuSE
> solid in a few years. OpenSuSE is still in infant
> state and needs all the support it can get. It is not
> a shame to get the help from Novell in community
> style.

I think you're missing something... the community doesn't just include the
users, but developers at Novell as well. Its a joint effort. Not community
+ Novell, but that people at Novell are a part of this community. A very
important, and involved, part.

> > Making a comunity and a comunity site that goes with
> > it is not something that will be done in a matter of
> > days or perhaps even weeks. It will take
> > some time, sorry.
>
> That is no excuse for ignoring where OpenSuSE comes
> from and the support offerd exactly for the startup
> period. Novell/SuSE knows OpenSuSE is for the
> community, they invented the project and support it!
> Using the offered help and knowledge will for sure
> help to meet the goals, that is why it is offerd.
> Using this help may not feel like OpenSuSE is fully
> community, but ignoring it is gambling with OpenSuSE,
> the community and the goals.

What houghi is saying is that you don't put something out there and instantly
get a community, a community is something that starts small-ish, and grows.
I'd say that I'm very impressed with the current status of the community and
its growth.

> > I asume that discussion will begin somewhere after
> > FOSDEM. It will hopefully be a discussion and a
> > process where the Novell marketing people
> > have at most a guiding role. The site is NOT a
> > marketingtool for Novell
> > (at least not directly) it is a place for the
> > openSUSE comunity.
>
> Using help from Novell does not make OpenSuSE a direct
> marketingtool, even if the help is more then just
> guiding. Not only because OpenSuSE is a community thus
> the community decides what will be acceptable, but
> also because Novell depends on OpenSuSE to work in
> community form.

Read above comment on Novell employees being part of the community.

> Tim

Joseph M. Gaffney
aka CuCullin