Re: [opensuse-wiki] opensuse.org frontpage lift-up/redesign
  • From: q uestion <question_q13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:37:35 +0000 (GMT)

--- houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, obviously openSUSE.org is _the_ portal for
> openSUSE.org. openSUSE is
> the comunity, so as a comunity it is up to US,
> members of the comunity to make that site.

This is exactly what I was afraid of: black/white
thinking. We don't have Novell staff support to just
ignore it and hope the community can make OpenSuSE
solid in a few years. OpenSuSE is still in infant
state and needs all the support it can get. It is not
a shame to get the help from Novell in community
style.

> Making a comunity and a comunity site that goes with
> it is not something that will be done in a matter of
> days or perhaps even weeks. It will take
> some time, sorry.

That is no excuse for ignoring where OpenSuSE comes
from and the support offerd exactly for the startup
period. Novell/SuSE knows OpenSuSE is for the
community, they invented the project and support it!
Using the offered help and knowledge will for sure
help to meet the goals, that is why it is offerd.
Using this help may not feel like OpenSuSE is fully
community, but ignoring it is gambling with OpenSuSE,
the community and the goals.

> I asume that discussion will begin somewhere after
> FOSDEM. It will hopefully be a discussion and a
> process where the Novell marketing people
> have at most a guiding role. The site is NOT a
> marketingtool for Novell
> (at least not directly) it is a place for the
> openSUSE comunity.

Using help from Novell does not make OpenSuSE a direct
marketingtool, even if the help is more then just
guiding. Not only because OpenSuSE is a community thus
the community decides what will be acceptable, but
also because Novell depends on OpenSuSE to work in
community form.

Tim