Re: [opensuse-wiki] page naming and translations
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:13:33 +0100
Hi!

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 12:36 schrieb Martin Lasarsch:
> Suggestion:
> If you|someone wrote an article and think this is also usefull for other
> languages but you don't want to translate it to english|whatever by
> yourself, just send a mail the this list.

Ok, maybe there could also be a category, like the ...for deletion.

> > 2. What to do, if I did not move the page, because I do not understand
> > the above at that time? Delete the translated page, create it again with
> > the English name and move it to the translated name?
>
> Moving the page 2 times should work.

So I go to en.opensuse.org and have to move
Updating_KDE_and_other_software_via_YaST
de:Updating_KDE_and_other_software_via_YaST
which makes the page available at de.opensuse.org and I can move it from there
KDE_und_andere_Software_mittels_YaST_aktualisieren?

Because KDE_und_andere_Software_mittels_YaST_aktualisieren already exists I
cannot do the last step and will have to add #REDIRECT [[localized page]]
manually?

> if you use [[de:page]] it will add an interwiki link on the left side, if
> you use [[:de:page]] you can make a link to a page in the de wiki inside
> the text without a link on the left side.
>
> So, without : is the right interwiki link.

Got that, yet there are some issues with this and inconsistencies.

Interwiki states:

---------------------------
The name of the Page should be the same as in the English master wiki, [...]

Every page you translate should use interwiki links to the other translated
pages. [...]

[[en:Download]]

[[de:Download]]

[[es:Download]]

[[fr:Download]]
--------------------

If I have a look at the template used for the Documentation-page I see the
following.

----------------
{{Translations|[[文档|Simplified Chinese]] <br />[[NL-Documentatie|Dutch]]
[[HU-Dokumentacio|Magyar]] <br />[[PT-Documentation|Português]]
Turkish]]

[[de:Dokumentation]]
[[fr:Documentation]]
[[es:Documentación]]
}}

So one of the main pages contradicts the translation-guide which got me really
confused because I had a look at existing pages to see, how it is done
properly.

Sven