Re: [opensuse-wiki] Purpose of our Wiki and copying of Wikipedia.
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:39:07 +0100
Rajko M wrote:
> Peter Flodin wrote:
>> I would like to discuss the copying of Wikipedia articles and the
>> larger purpose of our wiki.
>
> <snip>
>
> There is a lot that has to be discussed, about openSUSE wiki look, feel,
> mission statement, feedback to and from administrative personnel etc.

do :-)

> For now I feel pretty lost, as I want to do something, don't want to
> interfere with other people efforts, missing place to communicate ideas,
> don't see that wiki totally closed behind registration and login will
> help much.

registration is not closed, so the wiki is not.
I agree that the login can make problem for some peoples, but

* the wiki is Novells, so what ever you say his content is
under Novells responsability.

* the wiki is _not_ in my opinion of the same wide open
nature of wikipedia.

openSUSE is mostly prone to the development of the SUSE
Linux distribution. It's mainly a community of developpers,
beta testers, writers... people who wants to be active for
SUSE Linux.

Asking them to register (and with no register filtering) is
a _yet very small_ mean to verify they level of involvement.
Do we need people not even able to register? what are they
to do is anybody asks them to get a bug to bugzilla?

well my thinking is not closed on this point, these are just
a mere present opinion that may change :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net